The text is as follows:
Which can be translated into:
- According to the Xiangyang ji[jiu zhuan]: Huang Chengyan, a man of exceptionally high-minded and straightforward character and a famous man of Miannan, said to Zhuge Kongming:
- “I heard you're looking to select a wife; I possess an ugly looking daughter, she has a yellow face with a dark complexion, but she possesses talent adequately capable of matching yours.”
- Kongming agreed, and so [Huang Chengyan] sent her over at once. The people of that time considered this [event] to be an amusing story, and in the village a proverb arose out of this:
- “Do not choose a wife as Kongming did, and end up with Ah Cheng's ugly daughter.”
- A daughter (in fiction known as Yue Ying, historically name unknown.)
- Zhuge Liang (son-in-law)
Fact vs. FictionEdit
- …Huang Chengyan did not help Wu's Lu Xun get out of Zhuge Liang's Stone Sentinel Maze during the Battle of Xiaoting.
- …Zhuge Liang had a son named Zhuge Zhan, but it is not known if Huang Chengyan's daughter was the mother of this child.